The Indianapolis City-County Council has announced a series of nine public hearings, one in each of Marion County’s nine townships, on the redistricting process that will take place in 2022.
“The effort marks the first time in Indianapolis history that the Council is beginning the redistricting process with a public information and engagement campaign,” according to a council news release announcing the hearings.
The council’s Democratic leadership has shared few details of their plans for the redrawing of the council’s 25 districts based upon 2020 census results, including whether they will adopt the independent redistricting approach that the council urged upon the Indiana General Assembly for its 2021 redrawing of the state’s congressional and legislative districts.
The hearing schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, Jan. 22, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Perry Meridian High School, 401 W. Meridian School Road (Perry Township).
- Tuesday, Jan. 25, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Community Alliance of the Far Eastside, 8902 E. 38th St. (Lawrence Township).
- Friday, Jan. 28, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Franklin Township Civic League, 8822 Southeastern Ave. (Franklin Township).
- Monday, Jan. 31, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Washington Township Community & Education Center, 8550 Woodfield Crossing Blvd. (Washington Township).
- Tuesday, Feb. 1, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Decatur Township School for Excellence Community Room, 5106 S. High School Road (Decatur Township).
- Wednesday, Feb. 2, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Northwest Middle School, 5525 W. 34th St. (Wayne Township).
- Thursday, Feb. 3, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Fay Biccard Glick Neighborhood Center Gymnasium, 2990 W. 71st St. (Pike Township).
- Monday, Feb. 7, 2022, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Moorhead Community Resource Center, 8400 E. 10th St., (Warren Township).
- Tuesday, Feb. 8, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Crispus Attucks High School, 1140 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. (Center Township). — The Indiana Citizen